What has changed…
Nineteenth-century photographs of the gardens give us a great impression of what has changed and what has stayed the same in the grounds of Nano Nagle Place. Nano’s small oratory chapel and the orangery were gone before the regeneration project began here in 2014, while the trees, lawn and overall layout remained.
Nano Nagle Place Graveyard
The Venerable Nano Nagle was laid to rest in the graveyard of the Ursuline Convent in 1784. Since that time three different monuments have been erected for her in this space. The third and latest reuses her earliest grave slab, and has been set in a beautifully designed landscape next to flowing water. Next to Nano’s tomb is the Sisters Graveyard, which houses the graves of both Ursuline Sisters and Nano’s nuns, the Presentation Sisters who have carried on her work here at ‘South Pres’ for over two hundred years.